In 2015 CFAS were awarded an Alzheimer’s Society funded Doctoral Training Centre (DTC). The aim of these DTCs is to create a cluster of PhD students and clinical fellows who work on themed areas of dementia research.
In addition to generating new knowledge, the DTCs will provide support and training in order to develop the next generation of dementia research leaders.
The first four PhD studentships will be:
- Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) in the population: New criteria and cohort effects – University of Newcastle.
- Social and psychological factors contributing to maintaining cognitive health and reducing risk of dementia – University of Exeter.
- The benefits and harms of multiple medication use in older people with dementia: understand the risks and perceptions among patients and carers -University of East Anglia.
- Consenting and the changing practices of participation in dementia research – University of Cambridge.
- Social isolation and cognitive function in later life: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Evans, I. E, Martyr, A., Collins, R., Brayne, C., & Clare, L. (2018)..Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, (Preprint), 1-26.
- Social isolation, cognitive reserve, and cognition in healthy older people. Evans, I. E. M., Llewellyn, D. J., Matthews, F. M., Woods, R. T., Brayne, C., & Clare, L. (2018). PLoS One, 13, e0201008.
- Social isolation, cognitive reserve, and cognition in older people with depression and anxiety. Evans, I. E., Llewellyn, D. J., Matthews, F. E., Woods, R. T., Brayne, C., & Clare, L. (2018). . Aging & Mental Health, 1-10.
- Living alone and cognitive function in later life. Evans, I. E., Llewellyn, D. J., Matthews, F. E., Woods, R. T., Brayne, C., Clare, L. (2019) . Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 81, 222-233.
- Is there a link between cognitive reserve and cognitive function in the oldest-old? Lavrencic L, Richardson C, Harrison SL, Muniz-Terrera G, Keage H, Brittain K, Kirkwood T, Jagger C, Robinson L, Stephan B. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A 2018, 73(4), 499-505.
- Risk of Two-Year Progression from Mild Cognitive Impairment to Dementia: Results from the Cognitive Function and Ageing Study. Richardson C, Stephan B, Robinson L, and Matthews F. Alzheimer’s and dementia. 2018, Elsevier Inc
- The Changing Face of Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) and Mild Dementia. Richardson C, Stephan B, Robinson L, Brayne C, Matthews F. Alzheimer’s Association International Conference 2017. 2017, London, UK: Alzheimer’s & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer’s Association.
- Associations between cognitive reserve and cognitive function in the very old: Newcastle 85+ Study. Richardson C, Harrison S, Brittain K, Muniz-Terrera G, Robinson L, Stephan B. 2016 GSA Annual Scientific Meeting. 2016, New Orleans, Louisiana: Oxford University Press.
- How do potentially inappropriate medications and polypharmacy affect mortality in frail and non-frail cognitively impaired older adults? A cohort study – Porter B, et al. BMJ Open 2019;9:e026171. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026171